Delivered via Zoom
The materials content will however cover more information than is in the current Guide, as the selection of materials is critical to producing a road/pavement design that will deliver both structural and functional performance. Although predominately concentrating on unbound pavements, considerable time is allocated to designing bound pavements for light traffic as per Austroads Guide Chapter 12 – Design of Lightly-Trafficked Pavements.
Understanding and determining design traffic is fundamental to achieving appropriate structural thickness design for quality lasting bound flexible pavements. Workshop exercises will provide reinforcement to the learning.
Sessions and Topics
Part A - Day 1
Session 1 - 11.00am - 12.45pm (AEDT)
Session 2 - 1.15pm - 3.00pm (AEDT)
Part B - Day 2
- Pavement Design Systems
- Subgrade Evaluation (Review)
- Pavement Materials – Elastic & Performance Properties
- Design Traffic & Case Study
Session 3 - 11.00am - 12.45pm (AEDT)
Session 4 - 1.15pm - 2.50pm (AEDT)
Workshop - (Optional)
- Introduction to the Design of Bound Pavements
- Overview of State Design Supplements
- Design of Pavement for Lightly Trafficked Road
- Design of Thick Asphalt Surfaced Pavements for Light Trafficked Road
Session 5 - 3.00pm-4.00pm (AEDT)
Design Exercises and live Q&A session
Ross Paul, Director, Ross Paul & Associates (RPA)
In his career with VicRoads Ross worked in several Regions and Project Teams in various positions responsible for planning, design, construction and maintenance of roads. In 1988 he was appointed Surfacing Engineer followed in 1993 by the role of Manager - Pavement Services being responsible for leading a team for undertaking pavement investigation, design and related research and development projects. From 1998 he was Technology Transfer Engineer responsible for implementation of new technologies and research outcomes, development and review of technical specifications, and guideline documents including provision of technical advice on most aspects of pavement technology. Since 2003 Ross as the Director and Principal Consulting Engineer of Ross Paul & Associates, undertakes a wide range of pavement technology and road surfacing related projects for various clients.
Who should attend?
- State road agency and local government engineers and managers with responsibilities in the provision, approval, design, construction or maintenance of concrete roads & pavements. This to also include project managers and senior supervisors.
- Consulting engineers with involvement in road and/or pavement projects.
- Road & Pavement construction contractors, engineers, project managers and supervisors.
- Local Government engineers, project managers and senior supervisors.
- Technical operatives and Engineering graduates and “cadets” looking for specialist knowledge for career development.
Due to its practical nature, numbers are limited for this course so it is advisable that you register quickly to avoid missing out on its unique and targeted content.
Cost: from $778.50 (inc. GST)