Ask Your Mates Open Forum

  • 1.  Fence between public and private area

    Posted 21-09-2015 16:35
    Who is responsible for the upkeep and replacement of shared fence between Public Park and residential premises.  

    lynne krywulycz
    Woodstock NSW

  • 2.  RE: Fence between public and private area

    Posted 22-09-2015 11:03


    Council land is either owned in fee simple or it is dedicated for a purpose, such as road or public reserve. If the land is owned by Council in fee simple, Council must contribute to the construction and maintenance of a fence as it is a property owner the same as a resident. However, if the land is dedicated, such as a public reserve, Council is not legally responsible for a contribution towards the fencing. However, Councils are not prevented from adopting a policy which provides for them to contribute towards a fence.

    The reason for the difference is that Councils would go broke if they had to contribute to fences around every public reserve, particularly in regional areas.


    Ron Hartley
    Director Engineering Services
    Great Lakes Council
    Ph: 6591 7227
    Mob: 0407 569 160
    Fax: 6591 7248

      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify Great Lakes Council on 02 6591 7222 and speak to the officer from whom the communication originated. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned for viruses and other harmful content by Sophos.  


  • 3.  RE: Fence between public and private area

    Posted 23-09-2015 14:53
    Lynne, Ron is correct. Section 25 of the NSW Dividing Fences Act sets out the how it works. See the link below. Cheers ------------------------------------------- Alan Fletcher Upper Hunter Shire Council SCONE NSW -------------------------------------------

  • 4.  RE: Fence between public and private area

    Posted 25-09-2015 09:40

    Thanks Ron







    Lynne Duckham | Strategic Asset Management Plan (SAMP) | Asset & Data Integration

    Phone 02 6205 6037 | Mobile 0416 099 878 |   Email

    Parks and Territory Services  | Territory and Municipal Services Directorate  |  ACT Government
    Level 8, Macarthur House, 12 Wattle Street, Lyneham ACT 2602  |  GPO Box 158 Canberra ACT 2601  |


    * Think before you print: 1 ream of paper=6% of a tree and 5.4kg of CO₂ in the atmosphere; 3 sheets of A4 paper=1 litre of water


    This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.


  • 5.  RE: Fence between public and private area

    Posted 23-09-2015 14:56
    Hi Lynne,

    The Dividing Fences Act outlines responsibilities for shared fencing and in particular section 25(1)(b) gives rise to an exclusion for public parks inter alia:

    25 Application of Act to Crown and local Authorities etc
    (1) This Act does not operate to impose any liability, or to confer any rights, with respect to dividing fences on:
    (b) a council of a local government area, or any trustee or other person or body, in respect of land vested in (or under the care, control and management of) the council, trustee, person or body for the purposes of a public reserve, public park or such other public purposes as may be prescribed, or... (emphasis my own)

    Hope that helps.

    William Barton
    Director Engineering Services
    Junee Shire Council